WHEN MASTURBATION CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS?
After many requests by mail, on facebook and phone call to write in detail on masturbation. with all respect to them, I am posting this article, which is purely based on my observations while treating patients having sexual problems.
What is masturbation?
Masturbation refers to stimulation of one’s own sex organs ( penis, clitoris and breasts) for pleasure and advancing sexual arousal. It is part of the normal sexual behaviors everyone indulges in at some point in life.
How many peoples masturbate?
• In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s Alfred Kinsey first published results of over 15 years of research in human sexual behavior. His studies revealed that approximately 95% of males and 60% of females had masturbated.
• The National Health and Social Life Survey and other research conducted confirm between 48-95% of people masturbate.
• Regardless of cultural attitudes and values, masturbation has been found in all societies.
Masturbation is a completely natural habit till person is addicted to it. In this case addiction is of two types –
Has some control over his behavior, the habitual masturbator can abstain and resume the habit at will. He may use masturbation as a substitute for sexual intercourse but can stop the habit whenever he is motivated to do so. In some cases, however, the victims cross the line from habit into compulsion.
Compulsive masturbation is, more widespread than any other sexual addiction, because it is so accessible, and can be indulged in over a long period of time in utter secrecy. This begins with fantasy, and the fantasy dominates the mind the masturbator will experience a strong impulse of getting some genital relief.
How it is performed?
Masturbation is a habit that is indulged in by both sexes the world over.
Masturbation in male
Hand is most common tool for masturbation. The speed of the hand motion varies from male to male, although it is not uncommon for the speed to increase as ejaculation nears and for it to decrease during the ejaculation itself.
For uncircumcised men, stimulation of the penis in this way comes from the “pumping” of the foreskin. This gliding motion of the foreskin reduces friction.
For circumcised men, there is more direct contact between the hand and the gland, thus a personal lubricant is sometimes used to reduce friction.
Apart from engaging the hand in this practice, some other objects or methods to achieve orgasm. E.g.A less common technique is to lie face down on a comfortable surface such as a mattress or pillow and rub the penis against it until orgasm is achieved.
Masturbation in female
The clitoris is stroked, fondled or squeezed by hand to arouse sexual response. This causes the clitoris to swell and the secretion of fluid in and around the vagina. This, of course, is associated with a pleasurable feeling. The lips of the vagina are also stroked with the fingers and as the vagina becomes wet with secretion, the fingers may be poked in and out of the vagina.
In a bath or shower, a female may direct tap water at her clitoris and vulva.
Corner of furniture or even a washing machine can be used to stimulate her clitoris through her labia and clothing.
Some women can reach orgasm merely by crossing their legs tightly and clenching the muscles in their legs, which creates pressure on the genitals. This can potentially be done in public without observers noticing.
Some prefer to use only pressure applied to the clitoris without direct contact, for example by pressing the palm or ball of the hand.
As masturbation becomes a regular habit in women, other objects apart from the hand are introduced.
Of course in women, orgasm is less easy to recognize as there is no ejaculation of semen. Orgasm in may be accompanied by rhythmic contraction of the muscles around the vagina and the anus, in a fashion similar to that felt by men during ejaculation.
Masturbation among the married
Married person Engage in masturbation when they are away from their spouses, or intercourse is not advisable due to sickness, or they perceive that their spouses are not really receptive to intercourse.
Sometimes a couple engages in masturbation as a form of birth control.
Oral sex, anal sex and mutual touching of genitals to the point of orgasm are used in many marriages in place of vaginal intercourse.
Sometimes a husband who fears he is not capable of giving his wife satisfactory vaginal intercourse will engage in masturbation.
Often, middle-aged men and women become so preoccupied with their work neglecting their partner’s sexual needs, who in their loneliness are tempted to indulge in masturbation or adultery.
Masturbation in children
Masturbation is quite common in young children. In most cases, it is considered a natural, normal behavior in children of all ages. Children often begin masturbating at around eighteen months of age. Masturbation tends to peak when children are between the ages of three and five. It then declines in frequency until puberty.
Many parents are surprised and/or shocked to find their children masturbating. Parents should keep in mind that masturbation generally causes no physical harm to their children. In most cases, problems result only when adults overreact.
For parents to deal with their children’s masturbation they must know when it is normal and when it might indicate some underlying problem.
Why Children Masturbate
– Pleasure. Children learn very quickly that it feels good to masturbate.
– Self-soothing. For many children, masturbation reduces tension. These children may masturbate when they are upset, tired, bored, or feeling stress.
– Exploration. Many children will masturbate as part of the natural curiosity they have about their bodies.
What Parents Can Do
– Ignore it. Masturbation is, after all, a normal behavior for most children. Parents can best handle it by treating it matter-of-factly. Parents shouldn’t try to get their children to stop masturbating by punishing, threatening or scolding. If they do, they run the risk of giving their children the idea that their genitals are bad and/or dirty.
– Remain calm. Parents should try not to overreact. They should also keep in mind that no physical harm will come to their children as a result of masturbation. If parents overreact, they may put fear into their children about their bodies.
When to Seek Help
On rare occasions, children’s masturbation habits may be an indicator of other problems. Parents should consult their children’s health care provider if:
– Children’s masturbation interferes with their social interactions.
– Techniques to eliminate public masturbation have failed.
– Parents have any concerns about their children’s well being.
– Parents feel that their children are possibly not masturbating, but scratching or rubbing the genital area because of discomfort. It may be possible that such children have an infection or a rash.
Parents should keep in mind that in most cases, masturbation is a common, normal behavior in children. Very rarely is it an indicator of some other problem.
Why do people masturbate?
Reasons given by people who masturbate include:
– To experience pleasure
– To relieve tension (sexual tension or general tension)
– To relieve stress
– To engage in sex when a partner is unavailable or does not want to have sex
– To relax
– To learn about what feels good to them and how they like to be stimulated or pleasured
When masturbation is harmful?
There are no harmful effects of normal masturbation. However After observing many patients with sexual problem my personal experience is masturbation can cause problems when –
– Masturbation is performed violently (hard pressure, rubbing violently on the hard surface and using instrument which can damage the sensitive nerve) and after using harmful lubricant, ointment, spray and medicine for long time. Eventually all this makes the penis oversensitive which results in sperm leakage after slightest pressure on penis.
– Masturbating face-down thrusting against something often causes severe sexual problems when you try to have sex with a partner. This is a troublesome condition called Traumatic Masturbatory Syndrome, or TMS
– You can hurt yourself if you stick anything into your urethra while masturbating (or any other time, for that matter). (The urethra is the tube in the opening at the end of your penis where urine and semen come out.)
– It’s not good to stop the flow of semen when you ejaculate. This sends the semen into your urinary bladder, and the force you use to stop the flow can damage the blood vessels and nerves in your penis
Harmful effects after violent over masturbation are
Violent over-masturbation cause’s penile numbness, due to the damage inflicted on the neuro-muscular endings which results in Reduction in penis size, tapering of penis in the base, premature ejaculation and reduced amount of orgasm. Erectile dysfunction or reduced erection size.
– Sperm count
This habit can also cause problem of and low sperm count, semen leakage when person is sitting with girl or thinks about girl.
In extreme cases, it may even cause impotence in men.
– Feeling of fatigue
The feeling of fatigue, persistent tiredness and loss of memory may develop. Since this habit creates excesses of hormones and neurotransmitters and hence changes the chemistry of mind and body.
– Stress and strain in relationship
This habit may become offensive to the partner, since it may be perceived as a substitute for unsatisfactory intercourse.
– Injury to organ
This may occur due to over use of the male organ or the violent style like rubbing against rough surfaces or forced bending of the male organ.
– Body pain
Person in excessive habit of it often complains of cramps and aches in the pelvic cavity or/and tail bone, groins and testicles and lower back pain.
How much is too much?
Since its frequency depends on age, lifestyle and overall health of a person hence defining over masturbation is difficult. However, if it becomes linked to an obsessive compulsive disorder where the same activity must be repeated over and over it signals problem of excessive masturbation.
Myths about masturbation
Masturbation has been wrongly blamed for a range of health problems, including:
– Mental health issues
– Sexual perversion
– Reduced sexual function.
– Men will run out of semen or sperm if they masturbate excessively
Health benefits of masturbation
A number of studies have proven the benefits of self-pleasuring to mental, social and physical health.
– Masturbation alleviates premenstrual tension for many women.
– Masturbation provides a healthy sexual outlet for people who choose to abstain from sex with partners or who do not currently have available sexual partners.
– Masturbation can be a route to safer sex, to help prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
– Masturbation allows for sexual pleasuring for those who are not ready to engage in vaginal, anal or oral sex.
– Increases blood flow to the genital region, which can help overall sexual functioning.
– Masturbation can induce sleep.
– Masturbation allows people to become familiar and comfortable with their body.
– Masturbation is often suggested as a therapeutic technique for overcoming sexual dysfunction.
– For women, it can help them learn how to achieve orgasm.
Homeopathic symptoms and cure
Constitutional homeopathic treatment can help to defuse anxiety tension and other side effect of violent over masturbation in both male and female. We also provide counseling and guidance to stop masturbation. Homeopathic remedies are prescribed on the basis of symptoms rather than conditions, as each case of a particular illness can manifest differently in different people. There are many symptoms which can be effectively treated by homeopathy few symptoms are given below. For further queries mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A very marked increase of sexual desire, with frequent erections, especially at night, with desire for masturbation.
2. Bad effects of Habit of masturbation in children.
3. Obesity, feeling sweats and chilly by turns, masturbating to release tension or relieve boredom.
4. Increasing isolation and withdrawal, feeling worn out after masturbation or intercourse, constipation.
5. Erections have nothing to do with desire for sex.
6. Masturbation followed by great weakness.
7. Masturbation associated with increase in sexual appetite.
8. Sexual appetite increased by every attempt to satisfy it until it drives him to masturbation and madness.
9. Penis glans gets flabby. Penis relaxed due to masturbation.
10. Weakness of the organ after masturbation. Even his young and beautiful wife excites no erections.
11. Desire for solitude in order to practice masturbation.
12. Excitement of sexual desire for masturbation, with lascivious ideas, day and night.
13. Increase of sexual desire, lascivious; exposes his private parts, with desire for masturbation.
14. Great sexual excitement driving him to masturbation.
15.Unnatural increase of sexual desire for masturbation, with mental depression. History of Masturbation before the age of puberty and its effect.
16. Irresistible inclination to masturbation even during sleep.
17. Weakness due to masturbation.
18. Bad effect of masturbation.
19. Constipation due to masturbation.
20. Dullness of mind due to masturbation.
21. Irresistible tendency to masturbation.
22. Weakness of legs and impaired memory due to masturbation.
23. Weakness of eye sight due to masturbation.
24. Melancholy due to masturbation.